Wearing a mouthguard while playing sports is important to protect teeth from injury. Here are some reasons why:
- Prevents dental trauma: Sports activities can put teeth at risk of impact, which can cause chips, fractures, and even knocked-out teeth. A mouthguard provides a barrier between the teeth and the impact, helping to absorb the force and reduce the risk of injury.
- Protects soft tissues: In addition to teeth, a mouthguard can also protect the soft tissues of the mouth, such as the lips, tongue, and cheeks, from injury.
- Reduces risk of concussion: Studies have shown that wearing a mouthguard can help reduce the risk of concussion by absorbing the force of impact and reducing the amount of force transmitted to the brain.
- Promotes better breathing: Some mouthguards are designed to improve breathing during physical activity, which can help prevent fatigue and improve athletic performance.
- Comfortable and customizable: Mouthguards can be customized to fit an individual’s mouth, ensuring a comfortable and secure fit that allows for clear speech and breathing.
It is important to note that not all mouthguards are created equal. Over-the-counter mouthguards may not provide the same level of protection as custom-made mouthguards provided by a dentist. Custom-made mouthguards are designed to fit an individual’s mouth, providing better protection and comfort. Additionally, a dentist can evaluate an individual’s risk of dental injury and recommend the best type of mouthguard for their needs.
Overall, wearing a mouthguard while playing sports is an important step to protect teeth and prevent injury. Consult with your dentist about the best mouthguard option for your individual needs.